Updated 3/28/17 2:45pm:
Many community members are experiencing problems printing to Canon printers. The problem appears with a notification that Windows needs to download and install a software driver. If you cancel or attempt to install the driver, the install fails and you remain unable to print.
Canon has recommended uninstalling and reinstalling your printer to ensure that the correct driver is once again available from your computer and that you can print successfully.
If your computer is running Windows 7 (this applies to most people), follow these instructions to remove each printer with the word Canon in it, then reinstall each Canon printer you previously had. You may need to restart your computer after uninstalling printers before you are able to reinstall them.
If your computer is running Windows 10, the process is slightly different:
- Right click on the Windows (Start) button, select Control Panel, then click on Devices and Printers.
- You’ll see a list of all your printers and other devices that may be on the network. Right click each Canon printer and click Remove device.
- Restart your computer to finish removing the bad driver.
- After restarting, click Add a printer, then click the option for “the printer that I want isn’t listed”.
- In the “Find a printer by other options” dialog box select “find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature” and click Next to see a list of all printers on the network. Search for your printer and double click it to install the printer and any associated drivers.
At some point on 3/24/17, College-owned Windows computers temporarily lost their connection to our print server and no longer recognize a working printer driver. We are working with Canon to determine the cause of this issue.
If you have any trouble following these instructions or continue to experience printing issues once you have removed and re-added your printer(s), please contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-526-7440.
A number of community members have reported intermittent issues printing to Canons in labs and in offices. LITS is continuing to troubleshoot the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We will update with more information as it becomes available.
Contact the Help Desk with questions: email@example.com or 610-526-7440.